Not Your Ordinary First Day of School – Part 3 of 3

I had to take an extra day to post, because my daughter is ill and I was swamped with homework and having to do a project for my husband.

The 6th of September…it’s the first anniversary of the day my husband was struck from his bicycle on the way home from school by a hit and run driver.  I remember being at home, at around 8 pm, having just put a casserole dish of chicken in the oven, and getting everything ready for dinner.  I was waiting for Jym to get home from his tutoring job, and was just starting to think that he was running late and forgot to call.  I’d texted him about an hour before to check in on him, but decided to start dinner without him.  Then the phone rang, and the rug got pulled out from under us.

It was the hospital calling, saying that he’d been in an accident, but I didn’t know how bad it was until I arrived….in fact, I wouldn’t know how bad it was for several days.  Long story short, he had bruises and road rash all over his body, a broken shoulder blade, bruising on his head, concussion, torn ligaments in his right knee with a large laceration, broken right tibia, broken right fibula, broken right talus, and an area on his right inner ankle that had been worn down by the pavement, exposing the ankle bone.  He had to have 4 surgeries in all.  The first one was to clean out the debris, and to see what could be repaired.  The surgeon at the local ER, though a wonderful orthopedist, specializes in hands, and this injury was out of his area, so they cleaned him up the best they could and transferred my husband to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, where he would undergo three and a half weeks of ‘confinement’, and three more surgeries.

The first surgery at Harborview happened early in the morning.  It was then that it was discovered that his lungs had been bruised in the collision, and he had a very difficult time breathing once he was extubated.  Fortunately, they were able to re-intubate, and made the decision to put him on a respirator.  He very nearly died in that surgery.  He spent two days on a respirator in the ICU, while we had to have him put in soft restraints because he kept trying to pull the tube out of his mouth.  Eventually, he recovered, had a free flap surgery on his ankle (muscle and skin graft….muscle and skin taken from his thigh), and began the very long process of recovery.

We have had to deal with wheel chairs, attorneys, insurance companies, medical bills, collection agencies, and many other stressful challenges, including being denied by the state for crime victim compensation.  All in all, we have spent over $10,ooo out of our own pockets for his recovery….and we’re not done.

My husband is a miracle.  Not only because he survived, but the fact that he is making the most amazing recovery.  The doctors are all in awe with how much range of motion he has recovered, and the fact that he will likely not require surgery on his knee.  The only two medical hurdles now are financial and getting through medical review board with the Navy.

God has really been working on my heart.  With all the absolute misery this driver has put us through, He has given me the grace and strength to forgive.  Even through my own illness which was sparked by this horrible stress, He has given me the strength to get through each day.  I have learned so many lessons, and become confident in my faith, more and more each day.  I have also realized that no dream should be put off.  We have to reach for our calling NOW, because there is no other time to do it.  It has taught me that family is the most important, and that we affect others in ways we can’t ever imagine.

For all of you who have loved and supported us through this tough time, we thank you from the very bottom of our hearts.  We are also grateful that you continue to love and support us and pray for us.  The journey isn’t complete, yet.  There is still healing left to do, more challenges to overcome.  But if we could get through this past year….ANYTHING is possible.

So although today was a tough day…it was also a day to put the past year behind and move forward.

Going confidently AND BOLDLY in the direction of my dreams!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s